Friday, October 19, 2012

A Place of My Own


It started out as a monument to Minnie Mouse.  Her image was splayed across my pillow, folded into a blanket at the foot of my bed, framed by white plastic on my wall.  She twirled in a slow dance when I wound the silver knob on my jewelry box, which always stood open atop the crackled white dresser that was Jennifer’s, then Brooke’s, and now mine.  The round, navy blue beanbag—hugged in the tight corner between my little white craft table with two red chairs and the door to my narrow closet—was reserved as a spot for reading the best books and was permanently imprinted by the curve of my back and the indentations my knees made when I sat criss-cross-applesauce.
The cracked and peeling dresser and tiny table were replaced a few years later by freshly coated, shiny white furniture, custom designed and built in Mexico, which included a dresser, desk, and bed frame.  Everything was a pristine white and it all looked so heavenly and clean.  I admired the intricate lines carved into the headboard for a short while before smothering it with various fluffy pillows and a “princess” mosquito net canopy.  The purple and pink pillows matched the blooming flowers on my bedspread and the lavender sky against which they blossomed.  I would often sit on top of the bed and draw the hanging canopy around me in a cocoon, pretending I was hidden in the depths of a beautiful garden, smelling the grass and flowers, about to emerge as a butterfly.

The only evidence left of the princess net is a small hole in the ceiling directly above my bed, where the sturdy hook once suspended it in the air.  The new cushiony carpet that squishes between my toes is slightly covered by a red circle rug that matches the red centers of the enormous black daisies set against the white background of my bedspread.  The flattened and worn beanbag has been replaced by a proper chair that rocks slightly, with a seat deep enough for me to cross my legs when I sit and read the best books.  I painted the wall behind my headboard a brilliant red.  It took several coats to cover up the tickle-me-pink.  I painted it all on my own, which is obvious to anyone who beholds my unfortunate masterpiece.  The spackled texture of the wall gave me trouble, made it impossible to paint a smooth continuous line.  The excitement of the splattering paint and the accomplishment I felt has thankfully lasted much longer than the splotches of red that dotted my hair and skin. 
The movie posters carefully arranged on the wall opposite my luminescent, double-paned window represent a long summer of collecting and negotiating with eBay merchants.  I tried to get most my favorite movies on the wall, but Newsies, The Goonies, and The Avengers have yet to make appearances.  My collection continues as my preferences grow with me.  Framed above the window is a horizontal photograph of the Hollywood sign, which I purchased on a family trip to Hollywood.  It seemed fitting to pay tribute to the city where movies begin, the birthplace of what I consider my passion. 

<3 Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment