Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Richard

I've had a lot to think about the past few days.

This weekend, Labor Day weekend (three days! woo hoo!), I sat down and wrote my rough autobiography.  It was basically straight facts, with a little of my quirkiness thrown in and a just dash of detail.  It was a lot harder than I thought to get the facts of my life down.  When did that happen again? was a common question I asked myself.  Also, 'Did that actually happen or was that just a story I heard?' was another one.  Overall it was a very new experience that I loved.  Although, the sad parts that I wrote about somehow found a way to sneak into my heart and create a little ache in those places that were hurt long ago.  Why is it so much easier to remember the sad times than the happy ones?

I took a break from my memory and watched The Runaway Bride.  Classic rom-com. So great.

I had been thinking about my past so much that I decided to take a moment and think about my future.  As I was watching, I thought to myself: 'Do we all want a Richard Gere like in this movie? Why do films like this one draw up this perfect man and have him say all the right things? Is it because they want the women of the world to look for a man like him? Or are they telling all the poor men who are forced to watch the film that they need to step it up and be like Richard?' In Runaway Bride, Richard Gere is suave, sexy, brilliant, and has all the right things to say.  He tells Julia Roberts how a man should propose to a woman, and it is one of the most beautiful speeches you will hear.  He makes mistakes, oh boy does he.  But somehow he cleans them up and still gets the girl.  What exactly is the message of this? And any movie, book, or fantasy of any kind?

Because all this did for me was make me wonder how in the world it is possible to have a guy like that, especially when you are so far from perfection yourself.  It's something to work on, I guess.

<3 Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment