Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Self, Great Day.

I have so many thoughts today.  I'm not sure I can express all of them without being jumbled in the attempt.

Yesterday was another great day.  Just one of those days where by the end, you realize that everything was solid, good, fun.  It was a day of classes, homework, FHE, and sleep.  I learned how to play Splash (a game on the pool table) and I wrote my first Italian essay.

This really made my day.  I had to write 350 words in my Italian essay, and then take it to the Italian Writing Lab on campus, where an Italian professor would quickly run through it and pick out my grammatical errors.  Although I was worried about the length at first, I ended up with 364 words.  Plenty.  So I took it to my appointment at the Lab and the professor ran through it.  Literally ran (at least that's what it felt like).  She spoke such fast Italian I could hardly keep up.  She read right through, stopping every once in a while to tell me how to fix an error, then she would speed off again.  And then it was over.  She handed my paper back to me and said, "You write very well.  I'm impressed."  WOW.  This was my first experience really writing in Italian, and I got a compliment.  I walked away from that appointment with the brightest smile.  That felt so great.  It was a small thing, but it really gave me confidence and meant a lot to me.  

Today was another great day.  I got homework done, went to the grocery store, and then went to my two classes.  Afterward I went to see Professoressa Noble, the head of the Italian department.  I really wanted to ask her about Italian study abroad.

I learned that there are internships in Italy, offered Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall.  Internships can be anywhere from law firms, museums, restaurants, hospitals, and more.  I spoke with her about my desire to go in the Spring.  She said it is absolutely possible, and gave me details about the program.  I would get to live in Siena, Italy from April 28th-June 22nd.  I would take 6 credits of classes, and then intern at my choice of location.  Because of my history interest, I might want to choose the museum option.  

This would be an INCREDIBLY expensive once-in-a-lifetime experience.  I cannot put into words how much I want to go, and how much it would mean to me to have the opportunity.  I know I will have to work hard to come up with money and good academic standing, but I have never before found something so worth it.

Always looking for the sunshine. :)

<3 Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment