Thursday, November 1, 2012

Intelligent Humor

Shakespearean quips: from Much Ado About Nothing

"I would my horse had the speed of your tongue."

"If her breath were as terrible as her terminations, there would be no living near her."

"Methinks she is too low for a high praise, too brown for a fair praise and too little for a great praise: only this commendation I can afford her, that were she other than she is, she were unhandsome; and being no other but as she is, I do not like her."

Claudio: "In mine eye she is the sweetest lady that ever I looked on."
Benedick: "I can see yet without spectacles and I see no such matter."

"An he had been a dog that should have howled thus they would have hanged him."

"Shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of the brain awe a man from the career of his humor? No! The world must be peopled!"

"Ha! 'Against my will I am sent to bid you come into dinner.' . . . There's a double meaning in that."

"Hah. There is the Prince, and Monsieur Love."

"Gallants! I am not as I have been!"

"When I said I would die a bachelor, I did not think I would live till I were married!"

I absolutely love clever writing, so Much Ado About Nothing is like going to a candy shop for me. I wish I knew how to write with such intelligent humor!

Maybe someday.

<3 Mel

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie (I have only seen the movie, I'll admit) but once I was old enough to understand it I just fell in love. BEST kind of humor!

    ReplyDelete