Thursday, August 30, 2012

Newbie

This is my first blog...ever. This whole experience is new to me so forgive me if I ramble on in an incomprehensible manner.

I got this blog for my Eng 220 class at BYU, but I'm thinking I may just have to continue with it once the semester ends.

Today in class we were given the word 'murder' as a prompt. Only the word 'murder'.  We were told to list ten images that came to mind when we heard this word, and then pick one to expand on.  This is what I wrote:


"The word ‘murder’ somehow brings to mind embarrassment.  Incredibly embarrassing moments in our lives may prompt us to turn to the person next to us and mutter, “Just shoot me now.” More than often, this is an exaggeration of extreme proportions.  But it has on more than one occasion, particularly if I have used the expression myself, caused me to pause and consider its implication.  Would we truly rather face death than that painful emotion: embarrassment?  Would being removed entirely from our physical existence really remedy the situation?  Would the persons who witnessed the embarrassing action not remember that situation simply because you had died after committing it?  Rather, I would think it would be long seared into their memories as the very last thing they saw or heard you do.  Instead of removing it from their memories, your death would ensure that it would likely be discussed at your funeral and in 'loving' remembrances thereafter." 

Would you agree?

<3 Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment